There are so many exciting things that you are going to experience when you become a college freshman. You have a new environment that you are in with a variety of other people that are all around the same age and are trying to further their education as well. One thing to keep in mind with Greek life participation is that it is indeed a sorority or fraternity is that it is not just for four years, but it is something that you will be associated with for the rest of your life. These are friendships and traditions that are things you will never forget. Each house will have its own types of traditions and rules, and that is what makes it so great. If you are still not convinced, here are 5 reasons why you should think about joining up with one:
1. Lifelong friendships are hard to find, but they won’t be when you are in one of these sororities or fraternities. These are people you might not have ever met had you decided that you weren’t going to join. Those that you pledge with within the Greek family are going to be your second family and people that will have a large impact on the rest of your life. This is a great chance to have some friends that you can count on and friends that you will have memories with that last a lifetime.
2. Many people don’t realize that you can get some awesome connections once you are a part of one of these sororities or fraternities. Once you become an active member, you are automatically going to share an instant bond with those that have come before you. You would be shocked how many times that really does pay off.
3. The social side of things is always a plus as well. Greeks are widely known for knowing how to have a lot of fun, and you might do things that you might never have tried if you weren’t encouraged to do them. You will never have to worry about not having anything to do, as there will always be something that is planned for that day.
4. Most people think that Greek fraternities and sororities are just about people getting drunk, but that is not the case. They do a lot of charitable work as well among other things. There are a lot of philanthropy events that Greeks participate in as well. They are more than willing to help others and it is not just about the partying, it is also about making a difference.
5. A lot of people also think that you can’t really learn any valuable life skills by being in a fraternity or a sorority, but you can. You have social skills that are going to last a lifetime, and you also know how to carry yourself when you are around other people. Public speaking is also another benefit that a lot of people take away from it. Just about all of these Greek fraternities and sororities are meant to make people better students and make them better people.